News

Judge in Hernandez murder case declines to step aside

Judge in Hernandez murder case declines to step aside

WON'T STEP DOWN: The judge in the Aaron Hernandez case will not step down. Aaron Hernandez (shown here during an October court date) was indicted in August in the killing of 27-year-old Odin Lloyd, a semi-professional football player from Boston who was dating the sister of Hernandez's girlfriend. He has pleaded not guilty. Photo: Associated Press/Brian Snyder

By Daniel Lovering

FALL RIVER, Massachusetts (Reuters) – A Massachusetts judge declined to step down from the murder trial of ex-National Football League player Aaron Hernandez on Monday, saying she is not biased against the prosecutor.

Prosecutors had asked that Fall River Superior Court Judge Susan Garsh recuse herself from the case because she had been “antagonistic” toward prosecutor William McCauley in past trials. Prosecutors said they would not appeal Garsh’s decision.

“I have examined my emotions and consulted my conscience, and I am satisfied that I harbor no bias,” Garsh said. “I do not fear or favor the Commonwealth or the defendant.”

McCauley had argued that Garsh had undermined his credibility during past proceedings, including a 2010 murder trial, by speaking to him dismissively, interrupting him and “sending signals (so) the jury would naturally think I was doing something wrong.”

The former New England Patriots tight end is charged with the June 17 shooting death of Odin Lloyd, a semi-professional football player, in an industrial area near Hernandez’s home in North Attleborough, Massachusetts. The case has attracted intense media interest.

Hernandez, 23, was a star player with a $41 million contract when he was arrested on June 26. The Patriots dropped Hernandez a few hours after his arrest.

He has pleaded not guilty to all charges, which include one count of murder and several firearms-related offenses. A trial date has not yet been set.

At Monday’s hearing, Hernandez sat silently with his attorneys, wearing a dark jacket and a pink tie. The judge permitted his handcuffs to be removed.

Defense attorney James Sultan argued during the hearing that the motion lacked specific details and amounted to complaining about past rulings, which was not grounds for recusal.

“It’s utterly frivolous as a matter of law,” he said.

Bristol County District Attorney Sam Sutter told reporters outside the court that prosecutors would not appeal the judge’s decision.

“We don’t think she’s biased against the Commonwealth,” he said.

Hernandez is being held in Bristol County Jail while awaiting trial. The other men who were in the car that night, Carlos Orbitz and Ernest Wallace, have been charged with accessory to murder after the fact.

Recent Headlines

in Sports

AP Source: Pacers sign Monta Ellis; Duncan will return & other NBA free agency news

Dallas Mavericks point guard Monta Ellis warms up in front of an advertisement paid for by The Indiana Economic Development Corp. before an NBA preseason basketball game in Indianapolis, Wednesday, Oct. 16, 2013. The IEDC has signed a deal with the Pacers for sponsoring the basketball court inside Bankers Life Fieldhouse. (AP Photo/AJ Mast)

A person with direct knowledge of the situation tells The Associated Press that Ellis has agreed to terms with the Pacers on a four-year deal worth $44 million and other NBA free agency news.

in Sports

Rangers’ Martin St. Louis announces retirement

In this March 4, 2015, file photo, New York Rangers right wing Martin St. Louis (26) shoots against the Detroit Red Wings in the third period of an NHL hockey game in Detroit. Rangers forward Martin St. Louis is retiring after 16 NHL seasons, seven All Star selections and one Stanley Cup with the Tampa Bay Lightning. St. Louis made the announcement Thursday, July 2, 2015, roughly a month after helping the Rangers reach the Eastern Conference finals, where they lost to the Lightning in seven games. (AP Photo/Paul Sancya, File)

The 40-year-old St. Louis was uncertain whether he would return for another season after the Rangers were eliminated, but it was clear that New York was not going to bring him back.

in Entertainment

Filmmakers bet on ‘Monopoly’ movie

monopoly

SANTA MONICA, Calif. (AP) — “Monopoly” is going Hollywood. Lionsgate says it will turn the classic board game into a…

in Sports

Wimbledon: Nadal stunned by Dustin Brown in 2nd round

Dustin Brown of Germany, gestures after defeating Rafael Nadal of Spain, during their singles match, at the All England Lawn Tennis Championships in Wimbledon, London, Thursday July 2, 2015. (AP Photo/Pavel Golovkin)

Dustin Brown, a German of Jamaican heritage with a clever touch and a throwback serve-and-volley game, beat Nadal 7-5, 3-6, 6-4, 6-4 on Centre Court on Thursday.

in Music

‘The Boss’ joins a Beach Boy onstage

14-overlay2

East met West as the Jersey Shore musician jammed with California legend Brian Wilson.

Bellingham Traffic