News

Charlie Hunnam backs out of ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’

Charlie Hunnam backs out of ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’

Charlie Hunnam stars in TV's "Sons of Anarchy." Photo: WENN

Actor Charlie Hunnam has quit the movie adaptation of bestseller Fifty Shades of Grey.

The British star won the coveted role of Christian Grey in August and author E.L. James confirmed the news on 2 September, announcing Dakota Johnson would be playing his love interest, Anastasia Steele, in the film.

The Sons of Anarchy star has spent the past month chatting about the role and how excited he was to be playing Grey, but now James and the producers are looking for a new star.

A statement from movie executives at Universal Pictures on Saturday reads: “The filmmakers of Fifty Shades of Grey and Charlie Hunnam have agreed to find another male lead given Hunnam’s immersive TV schedule which is not allowing him time to adequately prepare for the role of Christian Grey.”

It appears James has no hard feelings about Hunnam’s departure – shortly after the statement was released, she tweeted, “I wish Charlie all the best.”

Hunnam initially turned down the role before changing his mind.

He previously said, “I went and read the first book to get a clearer idea of who this character was and felt even more excited about the prospect of bringing him to life… (But) there was a bit of a timing issue where I just wanted to ensure that I was going to have enough time to really do the preparation so I can bring this guy to life and do him justice.”

Director Sam Taylor-Johnson was reportedly set to begin shooting in November.

Recent Headlines

in Entertainment

Actor James Shigeta dies at 81

Fresh
Miyoshi Umeki and James Shigeta star in Flower Drum Song in 1961.

"Die Hard," "Lost Horizon" and "Mulan" star, James Shigeta, dies at 81.

in Sports

Judge gives go-ahead for $2 billion sale of NBA’s Clippers

With her attorney Pierce O'Donnell, right, Shelly Sterling, center, talks to reporters after a judge ruled in her favor and against her estranged husband, Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling, in his attempt to block the $2 billion sale of the NBA basketball team, outside Los Angeles Superior Court, Monday, July 28, 2014.

Shelly Sterling can proceed with the record $2 billion sale of the Los Angeles Clippers despite her husband's objections, a judge ruled on Monday.

in Trending, Viral Videos

TODAY’S MUST SEE: How to cool a drink in two minutes

Cold Drinks

Never drink a lukewarm beverage again! Check out this helpful summer trick.

in Entertainment

Today in entertainment history: July 29

benjerrys

A look back at the Hollywood headlines that went down in history.

in Sports

Judge OKs record-setting $2B sale of Clippers

Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling, center, and V. Stiviano, left, watch the Clippers play the Los Angeles Lakers during an NBA preseason basketball game in Los Angeles on Monday, Dec. 19, 2011. NBA spokesman Mike Bass said in a statement Saturday, April 26, 2014, that the league is in the process of authenticating the validity of the recording posted on TMZ's website. Bass called the comments "disturbing and offensive."

A judge has ruled against Clippers owner Donald Sterling and cleared the way for the $2 billion sale of the team to Steve Ballmer.

Bellingham Traffic