News

Boston airport apologizes after 9/11 safety drill

Boston airport apologizes after 9/11 safety drill

Photo: clipart.com

BOSTON (Reuters) – A training drill at Boston’s Logan International Airport involving fire crews on an airport tarmac on Wednesday – the 12th anniversary of the September 11 attacks – drew quick criticism and prompted an apology from airport officials.

“Safety and security is our top priority and constant vigilance and readiness is critical, but the exercise should not have taken place on the anniversary of 9/11,” the airport said in a statement on Wednesday.

Airport officials had warned the public that the exercise, which involved emergency response personnel, would be held on the airfield and smoke would be visible. It did not interfere with flight operations, but the move drew criticism on the airport’s Facebook page.

Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick also criticized the decision to hold the exercise on the anniversary of the attacks, when two hijacked airliners destroyed the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center in New York, one damaged the Pentagon and one crashed in a field in Pennsylvania.

Almost 3,000 people died in the attacks. Two of the jets had taken off from Boston.

“It’s just dumb,” Patrick told reporters when asked about the timing of the event, according to local media. “The timing could not have been worse.”

Recent Headlines

1 hour ago in Music

‘You can’t always get what you want,’ Stones tell Trump

Fresh
rollingstonesREUTERS

The Rolling Stones told Republican presidential hopeful Donald Trump on Wednesday to stop using the band's music for his campaign after artists such as Adele and R.E.M. made the same request.

1 hour ago in Sports

Furyk to make PGA Tour return next week in Charlotte

Fresh
10-overlay-2

Jim Furyk makes his season debut as he joins an elite field boasting 31 of the top 50 players in the current FedExCup standings.

1 hour ago in Entertainment

Channing Tatum bringing ‘Magic Mike’ to Sin City

Fresh
20-overlay-3

The actor, who starred and produced in both the 2012 film and its 2015 sequel "Magic Mike XXL" made the announcement in a Facebook Live video on Wednesday, revealing "Magic Mike Live" will be coming to the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in March, 2017.

1 hour ago in Entertainment

YouTube plans online TV service

Fresh
youtubeREUTERS

YouTube is working on a paid subscription service called Unplugged that would offer customers a bundle of cable TV channels streamed over the Internet.

2 hours ago in Sports

Quarterback Manziel booked by Texas police on assault charge

Fresh
manzielindictmentAP

Former Cleveland Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel was booked by police in Dallas County on Wednesday and posted bond on a charge of beating his ex-girlfriend earlier this year, police said.

Bellingham Traffic