News

Beauty queen accused of throwing bombs resigns title

Beauty queen accused of throwing bombs resigns title

A Utah beauty queen accused of throwing homemade bombs in a Salt Lake City suburb resigned. Photo: Associated Press

(Reuters) – A Utah beauty queen accused along with three friends of throwing homemade bombs in a Salt Lake City suburb resigned her Miss Riverton title on Tuesday, according to a statement posted on the city’s website.

In the statement, city officials said they had been informed by the director of the Miss Riverton Pageant that Kendra Gill, 18, had resigned her position effective that day.

“Prior to the alleged incidents of August 2, 2013, Kendra had done a good job during the short time she served as Miss Riverton,” the statement said.

Gill, crowned Miss Riverton in June, and three other 18-year-olds were arrested earlier this month following a bomb-throwing spree that began the evening of August 2 and was aimed at people and property in Riverton neighborhoods.

The bombs were constructed from household chemicals, aluminum foil and plastic water bottles, arrest records show.

When questioned by police, one of the teens said he had spent the evening “‘pranking’ with fireworks with friends,” according to booking documents.

They were charged on Friday with four counts each of felony bomb possession, the Salt Lake Tribune reported.

Gill’s attorney, Walter Bugden, could not be reached for comment late Tuesday evening and officials with the Miss Utah Scholarship Pageant did not respond to a request for comment.

Recent Headlines

in Sports

Former Titans kicker Bironas killed in accident

NFL logo on the field before an NFL football game between the Detroit Lions and the New England Patriots in Detroit, Thursday, Aug. 22, 2013.

Metro Nashville Police said Bironas lost control on a curve in his 2009 GMC Yukon Denali and crashed after 11 p.m. Saturday less than a mile from home.

in Sports

Associated Press Top 25 scoreboard

football helmet

All the scores from the AP top 25

in Entertainment

This weekend in entertainment history

mondaynight

A look back on the Hollywood headlines that made history.

in Sports

Florida State suspends Winston for entire game against Clemson

Florida State's Jameis Winston (5) warms up before the Atlantic Coast Conference Championship NCAA football game between Florida State and Duke in Charlotte, N.C., Saturday, Dec. 7, 2013.

Florida State interim President Garnett S. Stokes and athletics director Stan Wilcox have announced that quarterback Jameis Winston will be suspended for the entire game against Clemson on Saturday.

in Sports

Goodell apologizes & plans to implement new policies following Ray Rice incident

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell pauses as he speaks during a news conference Friday, Sept. 19, 2014, in New York. Goodell says the NFL wants to implement new personal conduct policies by the Super Bowl. The league has faced increasing criticism that it has not acted quickly or emphatically enough concerning the domestic abuse cases. The commissioner reiterated that he botched the handling of the Ray Rice case.

At a news conference Friday, Goodell made his first public statements in more than a week about the rash of NFL players involved in domestic violence.

Bellingham Traffic