News

Raven’s Rice pleads not guilty in assault case

Raven’s Rice pleads not guilty in assault case

RAY RICE:Rice signed a five-year, $35 million contract with the Ravens in 2012 and helped the team to a Super Bowl victory over the San Francisco 49ers. Photo: Reuters

NEW YORK (Reuters) – The National Football League’s Ray Rice, a Pro Bowl running back with the Baltimore Ravens, pleaded not guilty on Thursday to a charge of assaulting his fiancée at a New Jersey casino.

Police arrested Rice, known for his advocacy against bullying, together with his fiancée, Janay Palmer, outside the Revel Casino and Hotel in Atlantic City in February.

Surveillance tape at the time was alleged to show the two hitting each other in one of the casino’s elevators, and Rice and Palmer both initially faced simple assault charges.

A grand jury indicted Rice on the more serious charge of aggravated assault in March, however, when the case against Palmer was dismissed.

If convicted, Rice could be sentenced to up to five years in prison.

At his hearing in Atlantic County Superior Court in New Jersey on Thursday, Rice applied for a discretionary program for first-time offenders, according to the Atlantic County Prosecutor’s Office. Completion of the program could lead to the dismissal of Rice’s case, the prosecutor’s office said in a statement.

Rice walked to the courthouse holding hands with Palmer and told reporters he was a “happy father and happy husband,” according to sports network ESPN, which reported that the two were now married.

Rice’s attorney did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Rice signed a five-year, $35 million contract with the Ravens in 2012 and helped the team to a Super Bowl victory over the San Francisco 49ers.

Ravens General Manager Ozzie Newsome, speaking to media at a pre-draft news conference on Wednesday, said, “We’ll deal with Ray (Rice) when that time comes.”

He added the team was looking to add as many as two running backs to its roster.

(Reporting by Curtis Skinner; Editing by Jon Herskovitz and Tom Brown)

Recent Headlines

in Entertainment

Today in entertainment history: July 29

benjerrys

A look back at the Hollywood headlines that went down in history.

in Sports

Judge OKs record-setting $2B sale of Clippers

Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling, center, and V. Stiviano, left, watch the Clippers play the Los Angeles Lakers during an NBA preseason basketball game in Los Angeles on Monday, Dec. 19, 2011. NBA spokesman Mike Bass said in a statement Saturday, April 26, 2014, that the league is in the process of authenticating the validity of the recording posted on TMZ's website. Bass called the comments "disturbing and offensive."

A judge has ruled against Clippers owner Donald Sterling and cleared the way for the $2 billion sale of the team to Steve Ballmer.

in Music

Glen Matlock denies new Sex Pistols reunion

John Lydon, right, and Glen Matlock of The Sex Pistols perform at the Roxy in West Hollywood, Calif., on Thursday, Oct. 25, 2007.

Sex Pistols star Glen Matlock dashes fans' hopes of another reunion by insisting he hasn't had any contact with John Lydon in five years.

in Music

Aretha Franklin storms out of fast food joint

FILE - In this May 11, 2013 file photo, Aretha Franklin performs during McDonald's Gospelfest 2013 at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J.Franklin won’t say what has caused her latest health problems, but says she’s had a “miraculous” recovery and is looking forward to performing soon.In a phone interview on Tuesday, Aug. 20, Franklin said that she recently had a cat scan and that it showed she was 85 percent improved. The 71-year-old has canceled several concerts and public appearances and blamed it on unspecified treatment.

Aretha Franklin stormed out a Johnny Rockets in Ontario, Canada last week after a nasty encounter with a rude employee.

in Sports

Byron Scott to lead Lakers…or will he?

FILE - In this April 17, 2013, file photo, then-Cleveland Cavaliers coach Byron Scott watches an NBA basketball game in Charlotte, N.C. Scott said this weekend that he has been hired by the Los Angeles Lakers, but the club insisted Sunday, July 27, 2014, that no deal has been reached. Scott, who won three NBA titles as a shooting guard for the Lakers, told KCBS-TV he will take over the club, which hasn't had a coach since Mike D'Antoni resigned April 30.

The club continues to insist that no deal has been reached.

Bellingham Traffic