News

Paul McCartney to close Candlestick Park

Paul McCartney to close Candlestick Park

PAUL MCCARTNEY:After months of negotiations, the rocker has revealed he will hit the stage at Candlestick Park in San Francisco on Aug. 14. Photo: Associated Press

Sir Paul McCartney has confirmed he’ll return to the site of the Beatles’ final paid-for gig to perform the stadium’s last ever concert.

After months of negotiations, the rocker has revealed he will hit the stage at Candlestick Park in San Francisco on Aug. 14 as part of a farewell to the sports mecca that hosted the Fab Four in 1966.

A statement posted on McCartney’s website on Thursday reads: “Putting the rumor mill to rest, Paul has confirmed that he will indeed return to San Francisco Aug. 14 to play Farewell to Candlestick: The Final Concert.”

San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee personally invited McCartney to close out the 54-year-old Candlestick Park last year.

Following his gig there, the former home of both baseball’s Giants and football’s 49ers will be demolished.

Recent Headlines

in Sports

NFL giving up ‘distraction’ of tax-exempt status

Fresh
nfl

Commissioner Roger Goodell says the league office and its management council will file tax returns as taxable entities for the 2015 fiscal year.

in Music

Jay Z’s attempt to stem ‘Tidal’ wave of criticism backfires

jayz

Jay Z has "99 Problems" and we're guessing his controversial new streaming venture tops the list.

in Entertainment

Viola Davis to play Harriet Tubman

violadavis

She will star in a biography about the woman who helped countless slaves escape to freedom.

in Music

Kid Rock makes concert history in native Michigan

kidrock

The rocker has shattered a record for ticket sales.

in Sports

White Sox-Orioles postponed again in riot-ravaged Baltimore

Fresh
oriolesgamesuspended

The team says it made the decision Tuesday after consulting with Major League Baseball, and state and local officials. A makeup date was not announced.

Bellingham Traffic