News

Nadal withdraws from Toronto, Cincinnati events

Nadal withdraws from Toronto, Cincinnati events

INJURED:Nadal, who suffered the injury during practice, will have to wear a cast on his right wrist for two-to-three weeks, forcing him to withdraw from next week's Rogers Cup in Toronto and the following week's Cincinnati Open. Photo: Reuters

TORONTO (Reuters) – Rafael Nadal will miss two U.S. Open tune-up events due to a wrist injury that has put his status in doubt for a title defense at the year’s final grand slam.

Nadal, who suffered the injury during practice, will have to wear a cast on his right wrist for two-to-three weeks, forcing him to withdraw from next week’s Rogers Cup in Toronto and the following week’s Cincinnati Open.

“Depending on the evolution of the injury that will be carefully followed by the doctors, including MRI tests, it will be decided then the return to competition, initially scheduled for the US Open,” Nadal’s publicist said in a statement.

The world number two, who won the Canadian and Cincinnati titles last year, felt pain during practice in Mallorca and tests later revealed the injury, according to his publicist.

The injury will delay Nadal’s start to the North American hardcourt season and his preparations for the Aug. 25-Sept. 8 U.S. Open in Flushing Meadows.

“I’m extremely disappointed that I am unable to defend my Rogers Cup title this year,” the 14-time grand slam winner said in a statement released by the tournament organizers.

“Unfortunately I injured myself yesterday during practice and after checking with my doctors I will have to stay out of competition for at least 2-3 weeks.”

A three-time winner on the Canadian hardcourts, the event has traditionally marked the start of the Spaniard’s buildup to Flushing Meadows and marks only the second time since he made his Rogers Cup in 2004 that he has missed the stop.

“We know Rafa is a fan favorite and our fans will be upset by his absence,” said Karl Hale, Rogers Cup tournament director. “But we also know that if Rafa could play he would as he has a great respect for our event and his Canadian fans.”

Even with Nadal’s withdrawal the Rogers Cup has attracted a top field that includes world number one Novak Djokovic, 17-times grand slam champion Roger Federer and Canadian hopeful Milos Raonic.

With Nadal’s withdrawal, two-times grand slam champion Andy Murray moves into the number eight seed, giving him a first-round bye.

(Reporting by Steve Keating; Editing by Frank Pingue)

Recent Headlines

in Sports

Brady full practice participant despite cold, ankle problem

Fresh
New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady listens to a question during a news conference Wednesday, Jan. 28, 2015, in Chandler, Ariz. The Patriots play the Seattle Seahawks in NFL football Super Bowl XLIX Sunday, Feb. 1, in Phoenix.

Seattle Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman laughed when told the news and said, “his arm doesn’t have a cold.”

in Sports

Un-Friendly: US fades in 3-2 loss at Chile, extends winless streak to 5

Updated
United States soccer head coach Jurgen Klinsmann waits as he is introduced during a press conference in East Hartford, Conn. Thursday, Oct. 9, 2014. The U.S. will host Ecuador in a friendly soccer match on Friday.

U.S. coach Jurgen Klinsmann unveiled a 3-5-2 formation in his team's 2015 opener, but the Americans once again were tripped up by their habit of fading in the second half.

in Sports

Lawmaker again takes aim at NFL tax status

House Judiciary Committee member Rep. Jason Chaffetz, R-Utah questions acting Secret Service Director Joseph Clancy, on Capitol Hill in Washington, Wednesday, Nov. 19, 2014, during the committee's hearing on oversight of the Secret Service.

Days before the Super Bowl, a Utah lawmaker is again sponsoring a bill that would punt the tax exemption for professional sports leagues.

in Sports

Mayweather and Pacquiao exchange phone numbers at Heat game

FILE - In this combination of file photos, U.S. boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr., left, prepares to spar at a gym in east London on May 22, 2009, and Manny Pacquiao, right, of the Philippines, weighs in for the junior welterweight boxing match against British boxer Ricky Hatton, May 1, 2009, in Las Vegas. The March 13 , 2010 megafight between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. has been thrown into jeopardy. Mayweather's camp is demanding the fighters submit to Olympic-type drug testing in the weeks leading up to the bout. Leonard Ellerbe, Mayweather's manager, says the fight will not go on if Pacquiao doesn't agree to blood testing under standards followed by the United States Anti-Doping Agency.

Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao have finally met — in person. And now talks might get serious about them meeting in the ring.

in Entertainment

Woman convicted of stalking ‘Orange is the New Black’ star

tarynmanning

Jeanine Heller, who has been stalking the actress for months, has been sentenced to 45 days behind bars.

Bellingham Traffic