News

GM recalls another 1.5M vehicles

GM recalls another 1.5M vehicles

MORE RECALLS: GM said it is recalling more than 1.5 million newer sport utility vehicles, luxury sedans and full-size vans in three separate recalls. Photo: Reuters

DETROIT (Reuters) – General Motors Co will take a $300 million charge primarily to cover the costs related to the faulty ignition switches linked to at least 12 deaths as well as three more recalls it announced on Monday.

The No. 1 U.S. automaker, which will take the charge in the first quarter, did not provide a breakdown of how much was related to the ignition-switch recall of more than 1.6 million older-model vehicles.

GM also said it is recalling more than 1.5 million newer sport utility vehicles, luxury sedans and full-size vans in three separate recalls. While there were reports of engine compartment fires in two dealer-owned Cadillac XTS sedans, the company said it has received no reports of accidents or injuries related to the three new recalls.

“I asked our team to redouble our efforts on our pending product reviews, bring them forward and resolve them quickly,” GM Chief Executive Mary Barra said in a statement. “That is what today’s GM is all about.”

She previously apologized for how GM handled the ignition switch recall and said the company would take an “unvarnished” look at the process while making customer safety and satisfaction the top priority.

“We are conducting an intense review of our internal processes and will have more developments to announce as we move forward,” Barra said on Monday.

The ignition-switch recall has led to government criminal and civil investigations, an internal probe by GM and preparations for hearings by Congress. All ask why GM took so long to address a problem it has said first came to its attention in 2001.

GM said that when the ignition switch was jostled, a key could turn off the car’s engine and disable airbags, sometimes while traveling at high speed. GM has said it received reports of 12 deaths and 34 crashes in the recalled cars, although safety advocate groups have urged a deeper investigation, arguing the number of fatalities involved has been understated.

On Friday, the Detroit automaker was hit with what appeared to be the first lawsuit related to the ignition-switch recall, as customers claimed their vehicles lost value because of the ignition switch problems. The proposed class action was filed in a Texas federal court.

(Reporting by Ben Klayman; editing by Matthew Lewis)

Recent Headlines

in Music, Entertainment

Lorde curating ‘Hunger Games’ soundtrack

Fresh
lorde

The 17-year-old pop star is recording a single for the third installment of the franchise.

in Entertainment

David Cassidy reportedly skips court for race track

cassidy

The '70s heartthrob was reportedly at the race track while his attorney was in court representing him on a drunken driving charge.

in Music

PHOTOS: Inside Michael Jackson’s Neverland Ranch

AP041217025232_18

Five years after the King of Pop's death, his iconic California home is about to be sold.

in Sports

Ravens’ Rice: His actions ‘totally inexcusable’

Fresh
ray rice nfl

Rice was arrested on assault charges following a Feb. 15 altercation in New Jersey in which he allegedly struck Janay Palmer. Rice has been accepted into a diversion program, which upon completion could lead to the charges being dropped.

in Sports

A’s acquire Lester, Gomes for Cespedes; deal Milone to Twins for Fuld

Fresh
Boston Red Sox's Jon Lester pitches in the seventh inning of the first game of a baseball doubleheader against the Baltimore Orioles in Boston, Saturday, July 5, 2014.

Lester is 10-7 with a 2.52 ERA in 21 starts. Cespedes, who won the past two Home Run Derbys, is hitting .256 with 17 home runs and 67 RBI's.

Bellingham Traffic