News

Official: 108 names on list of missing in mudslide

Official: 108 names on list of missing in mudslide

LANDSLIDE: Homes and cars were buried under up to 15 feet of mud and debris. Photo: Reuters

By Jonathan Kaminsky

OLYMPIA, Washington (Reuters) – More than 100 missing-persons reports have been filed with various agencies in Washington state in the aftermath of a mudslide in which eight deaths have been confirmed, county officials said on Monday.

The landslide was triggered after rain-soaked embankments along State Route 530 near Oso, Washington, about 55 miles northeast of Seattle, gave way on Saturday morning, washing away at least six homes.

In all, at least 49 homes had some level of damage from the slide, said John Pennington, director of the Snohomish County Department of Emergency Management.

The search for victims resumed early on Monday after treacherous quicksand conditions forced rescue workers to suspend their efforts at dusk on Sunday. Some workers, mired in mud up to their armpits, had to be dragged to safety.

A spokesman for the Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office said eight bodies had been found by Sunday evening in the square-mile disaster zone of tangled debris, rocks, trees and mud. Another eight people were injured in the landslide.

On Sunday night, officials put the number of missing at 18 or more, but on Monday morning Pennington said various agencies had collected reports – some specific and others vague – of 108 people who remained unaccounted for after the disaster.

Pennington said that number was likely to decline as survivors initially reported as missing eventually make contact with loved ones and local authorities, or as some reports turn out to overlap with others.

But authorities cast growing doubt on the chances of finding anyone else alive in the tangle of debris and mud that is up to 15 feet deep.

“The situation is very grim,” said Travis Hots, Snohomish County District 21 Fire Chief. “We’re still holding out hope that we’re going to be able to find people that may still be alive. But keep in mind we haven’t found anybody alive on this pile since Saturday in the initial stages of our operation.”

Washington state Lieutenant Governor Brad Owen has declared a state of emergency in Snohomish County.

(Additional reporting and writing by Kevin Murphy in Kansas City, Missouri; Editing by Eric Walsh and Gareth Jones)

Recent Headlines

in Sports

Browns not ready to name starting quarterback

Fresh
Cleveland Browns head coach Mike Pettine watches his team during the first half of an NFL preseason football game against the Washington Redskins Monday, Aug. 18, 2014, in Landover, Md.

Browns coach Mike Pettine's decision became tougher after Hoyer and Manziel played poorly in an exhibition loss at Washington on Monday night.

in Sports

NY Islanders owner announces sale

FILE - This is an Oct. 24, 2012, file photo, showing New York Islanders owner Charles Wang addressing the media during a press conference at Brooklyn's Barclays Center. The New York Islanders have announced that the team is being sold to a former Washington Capitals co-owner and a London-based investor. In a statement Tuesday, Aug. 19, 2014, the team says a group led by former Capitals co-owner Jon Ledecky and investor Scott Malkin has reached an agreement to buy a "substantial" minority interest in the team.

The New York Islanders have announced that the team is being sold to a former Washington Capitals co-owner and a London-based investor.

in Sports

Veteran NBA ref Bavetta retires after 39 years

FILE - In this April 2, 2014, file photo, official Dick Bavetta watches during a free throwt during the second half of an NBA basketball game between the New York Knicks and the Brooklyn Nets in New York. Bavetta is retiring after a 39-year career in which he never missed an assignment. NBA president Rod Thorn says Tuesday, Aug. 19, 2014, in a statement that the league is "grateful for his contributions to our league, and we wish him the best as he enjoys his well-earned retirement."

NBA referee Dick Bavetta is retiring after a 39-year career in which he never missed an assignment.

in Sports

Gibbs hires Carl Edwards and Daniel Suarez

Joe Gibbs, right, speaks as drivers Daniel Suarez, left, Carl Edwards, second from left, and J.D. Gibbs, second from right, laugh during a news conference at Joe Gibbs Racing's headquarters in Huntersville, N.C., Tuesday, Aug. 19, 2014. Joe Gibbs Racing has hired Carl Edwards to drive a new fourth Sprint Cup car in 2015 and Daniel Suarez will drive in the Nationwide series.

Joe Gibbs Racing has hired Carl Edwards to drive a new fourth Sprint Cup car in 2015.

in Music

Ailing Joey Kramer’s son joins Aerosmith on tour

kramer

Kramer's son Jesse who took over his dad's drum seat when the band hit the stage.

Bellingham Traffic