News

Oso mudslide search winding down; 2 still missing

Oso mudslide search winding down; 2 still missing

Photo: Associated Press

AP News

OSO, Wash. – Five weeks after a deadly mudslide buried about three dozen homes, Snohomish County officials have scheduled a Monday news briefing to discuss plans to end active search operations in the Oso debris field.

The county used Facebook and its website to announce the upcoming change.

In a statement, the county says Sheriff Ty Trenary will discuss the decision to end the active search while County Executive John Lovick plans to talk about long-term support efforts for the communities of Darrington, Oso and Arlington.

The bodies of 41 victims have been recovered.

Two people remain missing and the search for them continues, although the number of people working at the site has dropped to a few dozen.

Workers also are removing debris from the river and trying to clear Highway 530, which remains impassable.

Five researchers from the University of Illinois plan to visit Oso to study the site.

They’ll look at the mudslide’s impact, investigate environmental and geological causes and study any role land-use policies may have had in the disaster.

Recent Headlines

2 hours ago in Sports

NHL & NBA Playoffs Scoreboard

Updated
bluesstars16125175257770

NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE PLAYOFFS FINAL Dallas 3 St. Louis 2 In OT Nashville 3 San Jose 3 AP Photo/Eric Gay NATIONAL BASKETBALL ASSOCIATION PLAYOFFS FINAL Toronto…

8 hours ago in Sports

Stephen Curry unlikely to return for Warriors on Saturday

curry628991655369

Curry did some work on the court but has yet to scrimmage. Coach Steve Kerr said "probably not" when asked about Curry playing Saturday.

8 hours ago in Sports

Nyquist draws No. 13 post as early 3-1 Kentucky Derby fav

derby16126550513620

Trained by Doug O'Neill, Nyquist is undefeated in seven career races. The colt drew the No. 13 post on Wednesday.

12 hours ago in Entertainment

‘Oregon Trail,’ ‘Sonic’ join World Video Game Hall of Fame

videogamehall2016AP

Last year, "Super Mario Bros." and "Pong" were among the first inductees to the World Video Game Hall of Fame. The class of 2016 is just as strong.

10 hours ago in Sports

Convicted child molester Sandusky gets May 20 hearing

sandusky892389361495

Sandusky's lawyers will be able to try to prove their claims that prosecutors leaked secret material to find more victims, lied about whether they knew one victim's identity and withheld information that could have exonerated Sandusky.

Bellingham Traffic