News

Mudslide near Oso claims at least eight lives

Mudslide near Oso claims at least eight lives

Photo: KGMI/Washington State Patrol

KGMI News Reporting, complied with ABC News and AP News

MARYSVILLVE, Wash. – Searchers worked through the night in Snohomish County digging through debris to find victims trapped under a massive mudslide near Oso, Washington.

The slide was triggered after rain-soaked embankments along State Route 530 gave way Saturday.

Four more bodies were discovered Sunday afternoon bringing the death toll to at least eight.

As many as 30 homes were destroyed by the mudslide.

In a news conference, Snohomish County Fire District Chief Travis Hots said some areas are still inaccessible.

Play Travis Hots on mudslide

At least a dozen people are still missing.

John Pennington with the Snohomish County Department of Emergency Management says officials will introduce a streamlined process to report missing persons sometime today.

Play John Pennington on missing

The number of missing may go up since the debris swallowed part of Highway 530 filled with traffic.

Tad Merritt, one of the many residents forced to leave their homes, says he has faith the community will persevere.

Play Tad Merritt on community

Several lawmakers toured the site Sunday, including Congresswoman Suzan DelBene.

Play Suzan DelBene comments

Senator Patty Murray also thanked the emergency crews digging through thick mud for victims.

Play Patty Murray comments

Governor Jay Inslee described the scene of the mudslide as a square mile of “total devastation” after flying over the disaster area.

The Snohomish County Sheriff’s office says the Stillaguamish River is slowly trickling through the wall of mud.

The square-mile of mud has raised concerns about potential flooding.

Officials say they don’t think the water will suddenly burst through.

The National Weather Service has extended a flash flood watch into Monday afternoon.

Governor Inslee said Sunday that there are no plans to move the debris blocking the river.

 

Recent Headlines

in Sports

AP source: Chiefs, Charles reach 2-year deal

Kansas City Chiefs running back Jamaal Charles (25) runs the ball against the Denver Broncos in the second quarter of an NFL football game, Sunday, Nov. 17, 2013, in Denver.

The six-year NFL veteran ran for 1,287 yards and 12 touchdowns last year as the Chiefs reached the playoffs.

in Music

These middle school kids might be the next big metal band

unlockingthetruth

These Brooklyn boys don't need junior high talent shows, they've just signed a million-dollar deal.

in Sports

Broncos’ owner Pat Bowlen battling Alzheimers, steps down

patbowlen

Bowlen, 70, is one of the NFL's most well-known owners and guided the Broncos to six Super Bowl appearances during his 30 years at the helm.

in Sports

Tight end Vernon Davis arrives at training camp

San Francisco 49ers head coach Jim Harbaugh, center, congratulates tight end Vernon Davis (85) after Davis' touchdown reception against the Green Bay Packers during the first quarter of an NFL football game in San Francisco, Sunday, Sept. 8, 2013.

SANTA CLARA, Calif. (AP) — Tight end Vernon Davis has reported to training camp with the San Francisco 49ers after…

in Music

Def Leppard postpones Vegas shows to record new album

defleppard

The rockers are postponing plans to head to Sin City to record a new album.

Bellingham Traffic