News

Child sexual abuse victim will get millions from state

Child sexual abuse victim will get millions from state

Photo: KGMI

KGMI News Reporting
By Tracy Ellis

BELLINGHAM, Wash. – A woman who gave birth to her first child at the age of 12 and her second ten months later will receive $3 million dollars from the state in a settlement deal.

Her mother’s boyfriend is the suspected father of both children.

In 1995, the girl, her mother, her mother’s boyfriend moved to Spokane from Bellingham.

The first child was born in Spokane.

The victim’s lawyer, Darrell Cochran says a hospital social worker told DSHS she suspected the boyfriend was the father.

Play Darrell Cochran on CPS failure

Cochran says police officers and educators in Bellingham also told DSHS they believed the same man got the girl pregnant.

But still, nothing was done to stop the abuse.

A statement from DSHS says, “The child stated the father was a student she met briefly at a school she had attended. Neither the child nor her mother disclosed any information that the child had been sexually abused.”

Recent Headlines

in Sports

Serena Williams through to Australian Open semifinals

Fresh
Serena Williams, of the United States, looks up at the scoreboard during her match against Francesca Schiavone, of Italy, in the first round of the 2013 U.S. Open tennis tournament, Monday, Aug. 26, 2013, in New York.

All five previous times Williams has advanced to the semifinals she has won the title at Melbourne Park.

in Sports

PHOTOS: Super Bowl Media Day 2015

Seattle Seahawks' Richard Sherman during media day for NFL Super Bowl XLIX football game Tuesday, Jan. 27, 2015, in Phoenix. (AP Photo/Matt York)

The Seattle Seahawks and the New England Patriots hit the floor for the NFL Super Bowl XLIX media day.

in Sports, Viral Videos

Marshawn Lynch doesn’t want to get fined

23-overlay5

The Seattle Seahawks running back has a goal for Media Day.

in Viral Videos

School announces snow day with ‘Let It Go’ parody

22-overlay5

Who needs robocalls when you can declare school closures through song?

in Sports

Ex-NFL star Darren Sharper to face rape charges next month

FILE - In this Feb. 20, 2014, file photo, former NFL All-Pro safety Darren Sharper looks toward his attorney, Blair Berk, during an appearance in Los Angeles Superior Court in Los Angeles. A Los Angeles Superior Court judge set the new preliminary hearing date for Sharper, on charges that he drugged and raped two women he met at a West Hollywood nightclub. The date has been tentatively set for Feb. 17.

A preliminary hearing for former NFL safety Darren Sharper on charges that he drugged and raped two women has been tentatively set for Feb. 17.

Bellingham Traffic