News

B.C. measles outbreak declared over

B.C. measles outbreak declared over

Photo: clipart.com

KGMI News Reporting
By Tray Ellis

BELINGHAM, Wash. – The Fraser Valley measles outbreak that spread to Whatcom County is over according to Fraser Health’s chief medical health officer.

The outbreak was the largest in British Columbia in decades.

Whatcom County Health Officer Greg Stern says it started in a Christian elementary school in Chilliwack that has low immunization rates.

Play Greg Stern on measles outbreak

More than 400 cases were reported in the Fraser Valley.

There was just a handful in Whatcom County.

One infected woman traveled from here to Seattle for a “Kings of Leon” concert.

Recent Headlines

in Entertainment

This weekend in entertainment history

roseanne

A walk down Hollywood's memory lane.

in Sports

Different expectations as Warriors & Pelicans begin the NBA playoffs today on KPUG

Fresh
A logo for the NBA playoffs and official basketballs are seen on the court prior to Game 1 of an NBA basketball playoffs basketball game between the Los Angeles Lakers and San Antonio Spurs, Sunday, April 21, 2013, in San Antonio, Texas.

The best-of-seven series starts at amped-up Oracle Arena, Coverage on KPUG begins at 11:30am.

in Sports

Friday’s NHL Playoff Results

FILE - In this file photo taken Sept. 17, 2012, the NHL logo is seen on a goal at a Nashville Predators practice rink in Nashville, Tenn. The NHL eliminated 16 more days from the regular-season schedule Monday, Dec. 10, 2012, and if a deal with the players' association isn't reached soon the whole season could be lost. The league wiped out all games through Dec. 30 in its latest round of cancellations. Negotiations between the league and the players' association broke off last week, but NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said Sunday the sides are trying to restart talks this week.

Capitals, Canadiens, Predators and Canucks all win tonights games.

in Sports

Hall of Famer Kareem Abdul-Jabbar has bypass surgery

FILE - This April 1, 2014, file photo shows former Los Angeles Lakers player Kareem Abdul-Jabbar at an NBA basketball ball game in Los Angeles. Abdul-Jabbar is recovering after undergoing quadruple coronary bypass surgery. A hospital statement on Friday, April 17, 2015 says Abdul-Jabbar had the surgery on Thursday at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center. The doctor who performed the surgery, says the 68-year-old former NBA and UCLA star is expected to make a full recovery.

Basketball Hall of Famer Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is recovering after undergoing quadruple coronary bypass surgery.

in Sports

Hawks F Sefolosha undergoes surgery for injured right leg

Atlanta Hawks NBA basketball players Thabo Sefolosha, center, and Pero Antic, back left, leave a courthouse in New York, Wednesday, April 8, 2015. The players have been released after their arrest on charges they blocked officers from setting up a crime scene following the stabbing of Indiana Pacers' Chris Copeland.

Sefolosha will miss the playoffs, with an expected recovery period of about six months. The team hopes he'll be ready for the start of training camp next season.

Bellingham Traffic