News

Attorney: Donald Sterling says no deal

Attorney: Donald Sterling says no deal

Donald Sterling file photo Photo: Associated Press/AP Photo/Danny Moloshok

TAMI ABDOLLAH, Associated Press

LOS ANGELES (AP) — An attorney for Donald Sterling says the Los Angeles Clippers owner has pulled his support from a deal to sell the team to former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer and will pursue his $1 billion federal lawsuit against the NBA.

Attorney Maxwell Blecher says Monday that Sterling “instructed (us) to prosecute the lawsuit” and the deal’s off.

The $2 billion sale was negotiated by wife Shelly Sterling after Donald Sterling’s racist remarks to a girlfriend were publicized and the NBA moved to oust him as owner. The lawsuit alleges the league violated his constitutional rights, antitrust laws and committed breach of contract.

Donald Sterling agreed to ink the deal and drop the suit last week, but then decided against it after learning the NBA won’t revoke its lifetime ban and fine.

 

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Recent Headlines

in Sports

Hawks’ G Korver out for the playoffs with sprained ankle

Fresh
Cleveland Cavaliers' Matthew Dellavedova (8), from Australia, is chased by Atlanta Hawks' Kyle Korver in the second quarter of an NBA basketball game Wednesday, Dec. 17, 2014, in Cleveland.

The Hawks announced Saturday that Korver has a severe high right ankle sprain. A foot and ankle specialist will determine the best course of treatment, but he definitely won't play again in the postseason.

in Entertainment

This weekend in entertainment history

tomcruise

A look back on some of the most memorable moments in Hollywood history.

in Entertainment

REVIEW: Evil clown returns for “Poltergeist” reboot

18-overlay4

Just when you felt it was safe to look under the bed, we're given another "Poltergeist" movie.

Bellingham Traffic